Books

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Masks, deer and finches

I made some masks and took half over to our GD.  She is working from home and hasn't been out of the house for close to 6 weeks.  She has a compromised immune system, bronchietasis and asthma so she has to be very careful.  She was so happy to get them.


 The boys(?) are back!  I was up at 6:30 this morning and there were 7 of them laying on the lawn across the street.  They've been elsewhere for the last few days but back to their old stomping grounds today.  I've never seen 7 of them here at one time.  They stayed for a couple of hours and then moved to a few other lawns.  They like to follow the sun around!  Never did manage to get all 7 in one shot.  I guess they must have been on our side of the street earlier because they left several 'presents' on our lawn!!








Two house finches are building a nest in the juniper ouside our dining room window.  They are so busy all day, back and forth with bits and pieces for the nest.  They are so fast that I couldn't get a clear picture of them so I took these pictures from google images.  They are exactly the same.  The red one is the male and the brown one is the female.
House Finch

House Finch
It was a beautiful day today, 20C but very windy.  Between the wind and the warm temperature we can almost watch the snow melt, it's going so fast.  I'm not complaining, although we will get more snow between now and the end of May.

19 comments:

  1. We were very warm here today. I am hoping that spring has arrived and plans on sticking around.

    So nice that the deer are still coming for a visit.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were munching on the juniper that the finches were in tonight. I hope they haven't scared them off.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures of your wildlife. Its wonderful that they aren't effected by this other than it's far quieter and cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of people walking and they nearly all stop to take pictures!

      Delete
  3. Mother Nature is sending you gifts in this time of inactivity, and a little manure for the garden. Lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness to get so close to the deer is amazing. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have been here so long that they are not timid at all.

      Delete
  5. I had a go at making a plain black mask this week, definitely not as pretty as yours. Glad Kelsey is keeping well. It's a real worry for people with underlying health problems isn't it. Love the photos of the deer, I'd love to see them walking down our street. Not so sure I'd want any of their presents though. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just shovel it up and throw is on the flower bed!!

      Delete
  6. Aww they are rather beautuful and very cheeky deer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't made any masks but I've made a few drawstring bags and a lot of red heart pairs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very cheeky, not a bit intimidated. Great that you've made the drawstring bags, I haven't heard about the red heart pairs.

      Delete
    2. they are if someone is intensive care or if things get the worst. You keep a red heart and your loved one has the matching one.

      Delete
  8. I would so love to be up close with those deer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the deer but thankfully they don't often make their way into the city here. A few years ago a co-worker had one get spooked and crash through a patio window and die on his daughter's bed. Not good!

    The finches are beautiful! I have purple finches in my yard that are similar to these but the male is not quite as brightly colored as the house finch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, I don't think I'd be happy too see the deer either if I'd heard about your co-worker. Fortunately they usually stay on the lawns and sometimes on the road. The finches are still busy making the nest, I wish I could see it but I don't want to disturb them and scare them away.

      Delete
  10. That last shot of the finch....so good! I love that you have deer on your lawn:D Have you seen the video circulating on Facebook with the animals taking over all the human free spaces? I'll find it and post on your page

    ReplyDelete