Books

Sunday, February 19, 2023

3 weeks later

 

January 31st I had a full knee replacement.  In and out of the hospital within 24 hours. Not the best hospital experience I've ever had!  The hospital unit that I was supposed to go to after surgery was full to over flowing.  So I was sent back to the day surgery unit where I started out, only that unit was full so I was sent to the overflow unit from the overflow day unit.  This was a unit that is used for overflow DAY surgery, except myself and 19 others were staying overnight but it was definitely not set up for overnighters.  There was one toilet and sink for 20 people. 

 Instead of a bedside cupboard/cabinet I had a chair to put my glass of water etc. on.  

On the other side of the bed right up against my bed was a large linen cart on wheels.  Because it was a day unit the overhead light did not turn off at all, all night, and the ice machine is in use (right across from my bed) from 6a.m. on. Needless to say I was quite happy to go home when physio gave me the all clear. 

DIL Rhonda was at the house when I got home and stayed until yesterday. I don't know what we would have done without her.  For the first several nights she was even setting her alarm for in the middle of the night so I got my pain meds on time. She was cleaning, doing laundry, cooking, putting my splint on and coming to all physio appointments so she knew exactly what I needed to be doing and we even got to have there dog Sadie here all the time.

This is how it looked when I came home.

By about the third day there was quite a bit of bleeding.


Not to mention all the bruising which is even worse today. Even the side of my foot and the back of my knee and below the staples to my ankle are bruised and very very swollen.

There were 36 staples that were removed after 2 weeks.
Steristrips were then applied, there were several areas that were still oozing. The oozing continued on for many days but appear to have finally stopped today.
During this entire time I have had to wear compression stocking 24 hours a day and that will be for 6 weeks. I also have to wear a big splint every night in bed for four weeks.  It's like having a log wrapped around my leg and is not exactly conducive to sleeping.
Over the years I have had several surgeries but this one takes top place for the most painful by far.  I doubt I would want to go through this with my other knee if I had to.
Things can only get better!!











14 comments:

  1. A Greek relative had the same op two months ago and said the pain was so so bad she'd never get the other one done. However as time passes she's thinking of it.
    Hope you're walking around pain free very soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I never have to have the other one done.

      Delete
  2. Sorry for your pain! I have 2 friends that have had this surgery this year and it gets better each week so hang in there. It will be important to do the physical therapy which makes all the difference in recovery, altho, they said it can be rough to get through. One friend said having the second one done was easier because she had the healed, healthy leg to stand on and knew what worked best for her recovery. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The physio is brutal but absolutely vital to my recovery! The therapist was very pleased that the bend in my knee was at 105 degrees last Friday.

      Delete
  3. My friend had both knees done, one in January and one in June. Keeping on top of the pain meds and doing the physio is vital. To see her now, you'd never know she'd had the surgery. I know who has done their physio and who hasn't by the way they walk.

    That is really poor planning that the ortho unit was full and the SSU was full. I feel for the nurses who had to be called in overnight to staff a unit that doesn't really exist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I know there were 3 nurses but I didn't see one after 10pm until AFTER breakfast and I didn't have a call bell even if I needed one of them!!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, that hospital stay sounds pretty darn awful. Glad your DIL was able to assist in your early days of recovery.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery as you continue on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maebeme. I have been able to cut down on the meds a little bit but have been told to not do that too quickly.

      Delete
  5. I too have had both knees done. I totally agree, it is very uncomfortable and extremely painful and you wonder why on earth you got it done. But believe me, it does get better. The doc told me the first two weeks are awful then slow progress after that until about 6 weeks then things seem to improve a lot after that. Mine were 17 months apart but I was still happy to go through it all again knowing the long term effects are worth it. Hang on in there girl! It will get better and you will be glad you got it done soon. XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're right Maureen, I just can't wait to get to that 6 week mark.

      Delete
  6. My goodness that looks extremely painful. Hopefully things will improve now. Slowly but surely.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't been a great day today. I've been getting hip/back spasms since using the recumbent bike at physio last Friday that haven't helped the overall situation at all!!

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness...that all looks extremely painful, but hopefully it will be well worth it in the end...not unlike childbirth! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're right!! It's a long road but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

      Delete