Books

Wednesday, March 15, 2023

6 weeks post op

 I had my 6 week post op appointment with the surgeon.  First thing I asked was could I get rid of the compression stockings - yes!  That was definitely good news.  They are so uncomfortable when wearing them 24 hours a day for 6 weeks.                                                                                 Then every question I asked him-clunking and clicking in the knee, pain in different areas, at different times, swelling etc. I got the same answer, this is all normal and it will take a year to recover!!  He is very pleased with my progress and come back to see him in another 6 weeks!                                                    Then I went to physio today.  I was concerned about all the back pain I am having, lots of time it is worse than the pain from the knee. He said it's because I am not walking like I did before surgery because the new knee is still learning how to operate so it's not taking half the load like before.  He gave me some additional excercises to do that should help my back and he also got me to walk up and down the stairs properly.  That wasn't too bad although harder coming down than going up. After that he said he was discharging me, I graduated, and only come back if I'm having a problem.  Of course I was in so much pain the rest of the day I didn't know what to do with my self as nothing was giving me any relief.  This seems to be typical after every physio appointment.  He really pushes me, I push myself, I work on the bike and there were new excercises as well.  Hopefully things will ease off by tomorrow and also I get a decent nights sleep. Oh and I also walked to the end of our street and back when I got home.  It's not really that far.  There and back was probably only 75 metres.






8 comments:

  1. That is disappointing it is such a long full recovery process, it sounds like you are doing everything you can to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a little discouraging when you keep being told everything will take a year. That seems like a life time right noe, lol.

      Delete
  2. I hope the pain doesn't take a year to disappear. Take it easy! Not that you can do otherwise lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Constant pain is so wearing, not only physically but mentally too. I do hope you get some relief.
    It seems patience is part of the recovery process too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to have patience when you are working your butt off doing excercises etc. only to end up with more pain!!

      Delete
  4. My friend was like you, she hated how long the recovery process was. Take each day as it comes and do the exercises.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like I spend my entire day doing excercises and icing my knee.

      Delete